It has officially been 6 years since I was diagnosed with diabetes, and might I add- 6 wonderful years. And no I am not saying that sarcastically. Although there are days when it is hard, and tiring, and frustrating, and scary, diabetes has become a part of me. It is part of who I am and I am thankful everyday for this challenge I have, that allows me to grow and try harder everyday.
I am grateful for a mother who on this day 6 years ago, held my hand in the doctors office where I was told the news, and quietly shed tears with me as we hugged and cried together. For a mother who jumped out of bed at 2 am on numerous occasions when I crawled to her bedside and simply uttered the words, I'm low. For a mother who had to watch her little girl shake, and pass out, when my I hit an all time low. And then she dealt with me with patience as I demanded peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Doritos. For a mother who still calls me, just to check and see if I am okay and to see how my blood is doing for the day.
I am grateful for the friends I had at the time that were and are still supportive and helpful with all my health needs.
I am grateful for the doctors who have always been so kind and understanding (even when my a1c wasn't pretty). I am grateful for the medical devices such as Insulin pumps, and Continuos Glucose Monitors that make managing this unpredictable disease a little easier.
And I am grateful for a husband, who from the very beginning has supported and helped me become healthier. For a husband that when I am mean and grumpy knows to simply ask me to check my blood. For a husband who never complains when I am too tired to go out because my blood is out of wack, and never complains when he now has to wake up at 2 a.m. and make get me food.
So tonight I sit here with a grateful heart. I cannot help but think of all the good things that have come from this trial in my life. When the days are hard and the nights long, I simply have to think of all the people in my life who have stepped up and helped me in so many ways. It is simply amazing.
So tonight I will celebrate having diabetes with a blizzard (ironic I know), and will continue celebrating this disease each year, because each day it makes me a stronger person.

Wow! Cheers to 6 years... you are amazing, Katelyn!
ReplyDelete