As I have probably already stated on the blog before birthdays are not a big thing for the Bergs (I think its just a boy thing) anyways each year I try and make it a big thing and then restrain myself from going overboard so that Kevin actually enjoys the day. So a sign, gifts, free dinner, a little party, and like a million happy birthdays was what Kevin got for his birthday. And yes the million happy birthdays were probably a little overboard.
On his birthday Kevin had to go to school and I had to work. Lame I know. We did however sneak in a yummy breakfast and he was able to open his presents before he left. Here he is showing off his new rain coat (we live in Oregon, it was a necessity) and his new Oregon shirt (and lets be honest here, when it comes to Kevin an Oregon Duck shirt is a necessity too).
When we got home from school we headed out to a local mongolian grill where Kevin got a free dinner. The rest of the night was spent relaxing on my part while Kevin studied (poor kid).
The next day (Friday) we had a little party for him with some of our friends from the ward and school. In honor of the Berg tradition we of course smashed his face in a cake (although it was more smashing the cake into his face). His friends were definitely excited to do it and some didn't actually believe me when I told them thats what we were doing. They sure got him good though. Nothing says happy birthday like frosting in your nose :)
Okay so now for the mushy part you have all been waiting for...
Oh Kevin,
I could easily write a list of 26 things I love about you since you are now an old man at age 26, however I decided I just want to tell you how proud of you I am, and how I am completely in love with you. Sometimes I wonder if I really knew what love was when we got married. You came into my life and swept me off my feet and had me head over heels over your smile in just a few short months.I was so in love with you or so I thought. I loved the way you hugged me, I loved the way you played with my nieces and nephews, I loved the way you made me feel so comfortable, I loved the way you listened intently to all my life plans, I loved the way you made me laugh everyday, and I loved the way you made me happier then I had ever been. And yes, I still love all those things about you, but times it by a thousand, or maybe even a million. I loved you then, but it was nothing compared to how much I love you now, and from the rate its going, I can only imagine how in love with you I am going to be when you turn 80.
I will be the first to admit that our love has changed throughout the years. Life happens. The fear in your eyes when you found me laying on the floor trying to crawl to the fridge to find food, because my blood sugar levels were very low. The way you made the biggest peanut butter and jelly sandwich ever, and the way you fed it to me. It changed things. I didn't love you the same after that because, I loved you even more. Losing a wedding ring.. You remaining calm. You reminding me over and over that it was just a ring and it could be replaced. You never getting upset about it. You holding me for hours while I cried about it. The look on your face when I told you my mom found it. It changed things because I fell even more in love with your optimistic outlook on life. Laying on the couch for days (or was it weeks). Eating a whole cake straight out of the cake pan. Never using a plate. Cuddling for hours upon hours. Watching a whole season of 24 in a couple days. I could go on and on. But I guess what I am trying to say, is each of these experiences not only changed us but it also changed the depth of my love for you. Every memory I have of you reminds me of how lucky I am to have you in my life.
You work so hard at everything you do. The endless hours of studying you do for our family. I know it's not always easy. But you understand sacrifice better then anyone I know. And I know you sacrifice having fun so that you can go to school and provide for our family. I am so proud of all the hard work you put in each and everyday and I am so proud to call you mine. I love you honey, more and more each day! Happy Birthday honey, I am excited to celebrate your birthday with you for eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment