It was a typical monday evening. We had just finished dinner and Kevin was in the living room studying for his finals which were the next day and I was cleaning up dinner. Since the dish washer was clean I decided that I would have to empty it before I could do any more dishes. I opened the dishwasher grabbed four glasses out of the top (2 in each hand) and proceeded to put them into the cupboard. On my way there the glasses in my right hand (which was slightly wet) began to slip and I proceeded to try and balance them on my other arm.
Well this is when things didn't go as planned. The glass dropped hitting the other glass and shattering. I let out a little scream due to the breaking and then looked down at my arm and let out a bigger scream My arm was covered in blood but I wasn't panicking yet because I figured it was just a minor cut. I quickly put my wrist under the water only to realize that it was not a minor cut. This is when I started to panic and yell Kevin get in here quick. I think I stood there jumping around while Kevin found paper towels and told me to put pressure on it. My biggest worry was that I hit a major vein in my wrist. We panicked for a minute then quickly grabbed keys and wallet and headed out the door to the hospital. I was fine most of the way there as long as I didn't look at it. When I looked at it I got emotional and very light headed. Kevin asked if it hurt and I simply just told him I think I am in to much shock to feel anything.
Upon arriving we checked in and were told to go take a seat. The towels that I had been using to cover it was soaked in blood so I asked if they had a cloth or something I could use. The Doctor came out and pulled us into a back room where he took a quick look at it put some gauze on it and wrapping. Told me it was an impressive cut asked a couple times if I was sure it was an accident and not on purpose, took my vitals gave me a pain pill. ordered an x-ray to make sure there was no broken glass and then told us we were looking at about a 3 hour wait. In our rush of things we hadn't brought anything with us so I sent Kevin home to get his stuff to study and my phone and a book for me. He was gone for about 45 minutes and returned with sweats and sweatshirt for me (thank goodness I was freezing) and other things to entertain me while we waited.
3 hours past. Then 4. Then 5. By this time it was 11:30 and we were both exhausted and I was starting to feel really bad for Kevin who had finals starting bright and early in the morning. At about 12 they finally called us back and gave us a room. They said a nurse will be right in but 45 minutes later when she had not come in and I was really starting to hurt I hit the nurse button and immediately a doctor showed up. They had to do all sorts of painful tests to make sure I didn't damage the tendons or anything like that. I passed all the tests so then they proceeded to numb me, clean it up, and stitch it up. They put 2 stitches on the inside and then 6 on the outside. We left the ER at about 1:30- 7 hours after we arrived.
We both woke up at 6:30 the next day and headed off to work and school. I was in a lot of pain but was hoping ibuprofen would cut it for the day but by noon I was so exhausted and hurting that I gave up and went home for the rest of the day. Filled my prescription and took a nap. Poor Kevin had to take tests all day. Thanks Honey for sticking with me throughout that very very long night. You are the best.
Now for the pictures:










Oh my goodness, that is just gruesome! It looks SO painful. Glad you are okay!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh girl!! That is so deep, I would have been worried too! Glad you are ok!!
ReplyDeleteUGLY, Katelyn! Those were some sharp glasses. So glad that a great Berg man was there with you. :)
ReplyDeleteAAAAHHHHH!!! That is crazy!!!!! Good thing it turned out okay and you are okay! Will you have a big scar? Miss you!
ReplyDeleteUgh, I'm glad your okay. Keith's arm looked like that when he fell from a chain link fence this last year. His fat was sticking out. Gross. He has a nice scar now and thinks its cool.
ReplyDelete