Monday, February 10, 2014

The Storm...

February brought a couple big storms in our life. The first storm was a storm of morning sickness. After everything we went through to get pregnant I swore I would never complain about being pregnant. So I will do my best to not make this sound like complaining and more just informational.

At 8 weeks I started throwing up a lot. In January I had started my masters program and had agreed to teach health class on top of the 10th and 11th grade English classes I was teaching. On top of that my classroom was out in a portable and no where near a bathroom. Needless to say I left the classroom unexplained a lot and decided I should probably explain to the Vice Principal why she was seeing me so often in the building during class time. Needless to say, I just cried to her (it didn't help that I went to tell her at 10:00 in the morning after I had thrown up for the 3rd time since being at school at 7). She was very supportive and understood my leaving the classroom quite often.  I also learned where all the outside garbage cans were and where the closest bushes were to my classroom (to much information I know).

At this point we took our first trip to Urgent care to get an IV per advice from the OBGYN nurse. And the next week ended up at the OBGYN office strapped to IV's again because I was becoming so dehydrated from all the throwing up. At least there was still times I kept food down. There was not really a particular food that stayed down, it just seemed to be more of a timing thing. I did find that there was certain foods that were better to throw up and I stalked up on them (gummy worms, sour patch kids, Jamba juice, cream of wheat, fruit in general... Just in case you were wondering ha ha).

During week 11 everything took a turn for the worse and the second storm set in... The Snow storm. Portland had a huge snow storm. Although the storm didn't seem completely crazy to an Idaho girl, to portlanders it was huge. It didn't help that they don't have snow plows to plow the roads and therefore everything got shut down. Although it was kind of annoying, the snow storm was also kind of a blessing because that meant school for both Kevin and I was cancelled. Due to being sick I took Thursday off of school, however the high school was released at noon, and Kevin was released soon after. Friday both schools were cancelled as well. I would like to say we took full advantage of the snow storm, like others and went sledding and cuddled up with hot chocolate but in reality I laid on the couch all weekend throwing everything up. By Sunday I had not kept anything down for 48 hours. I couldn't even keep sips of water down or ice chips which meant I was throwing up close to 15-20 times a day. So Sunday morning Kevin and I braved the storm and headed to the urgent care to get some IV's since I was very dehydrated. If you look closely at the picture you can tell I look a little dead.




When we arrived at Urgent Care they took my vitals and along with that my weight. They put me in a room and when the doctor arrived he simply said since your last doctor appointment on Monday you have lost 9 pounds. We want you to go straight to the ER. We have notified them you are on your way. So Kevin and I quickly headed home and packed up a few things. Kevin gave me a blessing and then off we went to the ER. By some miracle my OBGYN was the one on call that weekend and met me in the room as soon as they placed me. They quickly got an IV started and did some ultra sounds to make sure baby was okay and then they did some lab work. After all of this they decided I needed to be admitted so I was then moved into the hospital. Kevin spent the day studying (he had midterms) and I spent the day trying to sleep. They would only let me have clear liquids. So I was pumped full of anti nausea medicine and fluids and ate lots of Jello (That I eventually kept down by the end of the day). We also took this time off to call our families and tell them the exciting news of the pregnancy. It was the silver lining to a very bad day. Kevin spent the night that night which it was really nice to have him around. School was cancelled on Monday for both of us as well so that worked out nicely. 

Wednesday afternoon they finally released me. Kevin was at school so I called my friend Nicole and asked her for a ride. Needless to say she was a little confused when I called and asked for a ride home from the hospital. She caught on really fast though when she came in to get me from my room and they were performing an ultra sound. So I got home and immediately ran into the bathroom and threw up... so maybe I wasn't completely better yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment